Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I never thought I would like Brussels sprouts


Posting about food so close to lunchtime is probably not my best idea, but I've been wanting to share a recipe for Brussels sprouts for quite some time now. Not once in my childhood was I subjected to eat these little green guys, but my boyfriend remembered loving them, so we bought some to try. I had an idea of the flavors I wanted to use, and while I don't have exact measurements, here's a general recipe:

brussels sprouts (at my grocery, they come in a mesh bag, but get whatever you can find fresh)
2-4 cloves of garlic, chopped or minced (I think I added more, but I'm a garlic fiend)
Olive oil, just a splash
1 tablespoon butter
lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
salt and pepper
Balsamic vinegar (optional)

Wash the sprouts and cut off the stem ends. Then, cut each sprout in half. (I do this, so that each piece can cook more quickly and absorb more flavor)
Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat and then throw in the garlic and sprouts. Hit them with lemon juice, a few splashes is all you really need. Season with pepper and just a sprinkle of salt (I use kosher). Let the sprouts cook for 5-10 minutes. The sprouts will soften around the edges, and then I like to add just a bit more lemon juice as well as a splash of olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar.
That's it! Simple and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails