Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Do yourself a favor

Creme brulee

Make Creme Brulee now. It's super easy and delicious.
Do it. You won't regret it.
I used this recipe from the New York Times. Creme brulee always seemed rather intimidating to me, but it's got a tiny number of ingredients, and if you follow a few simple rules, it will turn out amazing.

Creme brulee
1) I debated about using milk or a lighter cream, but in the end, I went with the heavy cream. If you do use a lighter cream or milk, you may lose out on some flavor, and there's a better chance of burning the liquid when you heat it.

It's worth it to splurge on the vanilla bean instead of extract. The bean brings so much flavor to the dish.
3) Turbinado sugar worked really well for the topping; it burned more evenly than when I tried granulated sugar.
4)Finally, be sure to temper your eggs by adding the cream slowly, and stir as you do.

Impulse buy

This dessert was the result of a Target impulse buy. I will be making creme brulee again soon. I've got visions of adding lavender to the cream mixture (and I may try a combination of half milk/half cream to reduce the fat content).

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...I'm thinking that instead of making some for myself, I'll just invite you over to make some for me. It looks SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails