Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

FO: Sewing Machine Cover

FO: Sewing Machine Cover

My lovely new machine finally has a jacket. I rounded up some of my favorite fabrics, including Riley Blake's My Mind's Eye and Lizzy House's Pearl Bracelet, as well as a bold Kona Cotton, Cerise, for this project.

The sewing machine cover was a fun and original project. I knew I wanted a combination of strips and smaller pieces, to highlight different parts of the fabrics.

Sewing machine cover

It's so nice to see this sitting on my desk instead of the sheet I used to cover my machine with.

Extra patchwork

Cerise is a difficult color to photograph, at least in combination with the aqua and gray shades, but this picture of some extra patchwork shows off the magenta shade very well. In estimating the amount of patchwork I would need, I was generous, and ended up with this extra piece, which I've attached to a piece of corkboard above my sewing desk.

New fabric organization

In other sewing news, I purchased a storage unit (under $40 from Target) and worked to organize my stash. This isn't all the fabric I own, but it's progress. You can click through to flickr to see a description. I've generally organized by yardage. Someday, I'd love to do what apriltwoeighty did with her stash. In the meantime, I'm happy to have my fabric visible and somewhat organized.

7 comments:

  1. Those colours are so cheerful! Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the sewing machine cover! so cheerful.

    i like your shelving too. you might even have a bigger fabric stash than me! well, quilting stash anyway. i have a lot of clothing fabric as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having a nicely organized, visible stash. And your cover is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like that cover! It is so lovely.

    And that storage for your stash is awesome. You can see all your fabric goodness at a glance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! Your sewing machine will thank you for keeping all that dust off of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the sewing machine cover! That's looks like a great way to use up small amounts of beloved fabric.

    Right now, my fabric stash is sitting in a couple of plastic drawers. I like the idea of having it out on display!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I just saw another cover this week that had me thinking of making one as well! My sewing machine has some batting covering it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails